Cannabidiol (CBD) the active compound in CBD oils is one of the 113 identified Cannabinoids from the Cannabis plant. Cannabidiol was discovered in 1940. It belongs to a class of cannabinoids called phytocannabinoids that are concentrated in a viscous resin produced by cannabis plant. These phytocannabinoids are soluble in oils and fatty mediums. That is why we find it mostly in the form of oils. But nowadays companies are making all kinds of products with CBD in them like, chocolates, bath bombs, facemasks, coffee, gummies, lotions and even dog treats.
CBD plays a major role in Endocannabinoid system in our body, which was discovered quite recently in the 1990s. Just how endocrine system is responsible for different bodily functions such as digestion, metabolism, growth, tissue function, sleep, movement and reproduction and modulates them by secreting hormones, the Endocannabinoid system aids in proper functioning of the endocrine system, brain and immune system. It works through the transfer of cannabinoids. Most of the cannabinoids are naturally produced by our body in small quantities. In the year 2007, The National Center for Biotechnology Information which is part of the United States National Library of Medicine, has found that endocannabinoid system plays a major role in the regulation of endocrine function and in the control of energy balance in humans.
Endocannabinoid system is an important modulatory system for the proper functioning of the brain, endocrine, and immune tissues. It also has a very important regulatory role in the secretion of hormones related to reproductive functions and response to stress. The important elements of this system are: endocannabinoid receptors (types CB1 and CB2) and enzymes involved in their synthesis and degradation, as well as cannabinoid antagonists. In humans this system also controls energy homeostasis, that is, maintaining the balance of energy and mainly influences the function of the food intake centers of the central nervous system and gastrointestinal tract activity. The endocannabinoid system regulates not only the central and peripheral mechanisms of food intake, but also helps with lipids synthesis and turnover in the liver and adipose tissue as well as the metabolism of glucose in muscle tissues. Rimonabant, a new and selective central and peripheral cannabinoid-1 receptor (CB1) blocker, has been shown to reduce body weight and improve cardiovascular risk factor (metabolic syndrome) in obese patients by increasing HDL-cholesterol and adiponectin blood levels as well as decreasing LDL-cholesterol, leptin, and C-reactive protein concentrations. It is therefore possible to speculate about a future clinical use of CB1 antagonists, for improving gonadotropin pulsatility and fertilization capacity as well as the prevention of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Drugs acting as agonists of CB1 receptors (Dronabinol, Dexanabinol) are currently proposed for evaluation as drugs to treat neurodegenerative disorders (Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases), epilepsy, anxiety, and stroke. As CBD is involved in a number of very important bodily functions, the medical industry is making advancements in the direction of using CBD compound for treating various types of illnesses.
The CBD market lies in the intersection of 3 booming markets – herbal supplements, anxiety economy and almost overnight rise of legal cannabis market place. It is expected to double by 2020.
Health benefits of CBD oils
CBD has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that have shown to help Psychosis, Anxiety, Movement disorders, Multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and seizures. There isn’t enough research done into how CBD can help with all the other illnesses because of the illegal status of the Cannabis or Hemp plants. As more and more governments of the world are realizing the medical benefits of this wonder plant , more research is done in this area. CBD has been proven to help with lots of illnesses. Some benefits of CBD that are backed by research are discussed below.
- Anti-Cancer properties : CBD is proven to directly reduce tumors, alleviate pain and can boost the effectiveness of conventional drugs in patients with breast or prostate cancer. CBD inhibits breast cancer cell proliferation, migration and invasion It decreased growth and spreading of glioma which is a type of brain tumor. It killed and prevented cancerous cell growth in different tissues like lungs, thyroid and colon.It also helps with the terrible side effects related to cancer treatment like nausea, pain and inflammation. It prevents metastases of various cancer cells
- Epilepsy: The interest in CBD based products for the treatment of refractory epilepsy has skyrocketed in recent years. This has led to an increasing use of CBD-enriched extracts in seizure disorders, especially in children. Even though improvement in seizure control and other benefits on sleep and behavior have been often reported, interpretation of the data is made difficult by the uncontrolled nature of these observations.Evidence related to the potential anti-seizure efficacy of cannabinoids reached a tipping point in the last 12 months, with the completion of three high-quality placebo-controlled trials of a purified CBD extract in patients with Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. In these studies, Cannabidiol was found to be effective in reducing the frequency of convulsive (tonic-clonic, tonic, clonic, and atonic) seizures in patients with Dravet syndrome, and the frequency of drop seizures in patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. For the first time ever, there is now credible evidence that adjunctive use of CBD reduces seizures in patients with specific epilepsy syndromes. FDA has recently approved Epidiolex, which is a CBD based epilepsy drug.
- Neurodegenerative diseases: Some brain disorders like dementia, parkinsons and alzheimers are caused by degeneration of neurons over time or due to some trauma to the brain. CBD helps counteract the oxidative stress in the brain cells because of its antioxidative properties. It has been proven to reduce brain damage in animals, potentially helping alzheimers and parkinsons patients. A combination of CBD and THC has reduced muscle spasms in 219 participants with multiple sclerosis. CBD helped patients with movement disorders by reducing uncontrollable muscle twitches. Because of its antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties, CBD could also help patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
- Anxiety: Accumulating evidence from human experimental and clinical trials suggest CBD has very powerful anti-anxiety properties. Administered as needed, it is safe, well tolerated and can treat anxiety related issues like – panic disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and general anxiety. A double-blind study done by brazillian researchers on patients with general anxiety, showed promising results. The patients reported a significant decrease in anxiety which was backed by brain scans showing cerebral blood flow patterns which hinted the reduction in anxiety. In another study, researchers had patients suffering from Social anxiety disorder, give a public speech after dosing them with CBD. Participants reported significantly less anxiety, and their heart rate and blood pressure were monitored during the activity and they were within the normal range. CBD significantly reduce anxiety, impairment and discomfort in their speech whereas the placebo group did not show any positive results showing that the results were not due to the placebo effect.
- Diabetes and Obesity: Several studies have shown that regular cannabis users have lower BMI, smaller waist and reduced risk of diabetes and obesity . One research done in 2011, published by American Journal of Epidemiology, based on a survey of 52,000 participants proved that rates of obesity are about one-third lover among cannabis users. This is despite the findings that participants tend to consume more calories per day, which can be linked to THC’s stimulation of ghrelin, a hormone which increases appetite but also increases the metabolism of carbs. In 2015 an Israeli-American biopharmaceutical collective began trials related to using CBD to treat diabetes and the research has demonstrated positive results. It has shown that CBD helps in weight loss by helping the body convert white fat into weight-reducing brown fat, promoting insulin production and sugar metabolism. Another study of 4,600 subjects showed that CBD reduced fasting insulin levels up to 16% compared to people who did not take any form of CBD
- Chronic pain: A study in the European Journal of Pain used an animal model to see if CBD could help people with arthritis manage their pain. Researchers treated rats with arthritis with a topical gel containing CBD for 4 days. The researchers found a significant reduction in inflammation and signs of pain, without any additional side effects unlike any of the modern medicine, which come with a very long list of side effects. Another study done in 2004, used cannabis based medicinal extracts, given to patients over a 12 week period. The patients were pleased to experience a feeling of relaxation and well‐being, especially if they had had a bad day with pain. Some found the distancing effect beneficial.
Hemp oil and its benefits
While CBD oils are made from all the different parts of the plant like, leaves, stems and buds, hemp oil on the other hand is made from seeds of different varieties of Cannabis Sativa. Unrefined, cold pressed hemp oil is dark to light green in color, with a nutty flavor. The darker the oil, the grassier the flavour. Refined hemp oil is a clear liquid and colorless, with little flavor. Hemp oil does not have any traceable THC in it.
It is primarily used in body care products. Industrial hemp seed oil is used for lubrication. It is also used in paints, inks, fuel, plastics and in the production of soaps, shampoos and detergents.
Edible hemp seed oil contains 76% in weight as essential fatty acids, these acids are essential for our bodily functions but can not be produced by it, they have to come from the diet ; It contains omega-6 fatty acid including linoleic acid (LA, 54%) and gamma linoleic acid (GLA, 3%), omega-3 alpha linoleic acid (ALA, 17%) in addition to monounsaturated fat (5-11%) and stearidonic acid (2%). Hemp seed oil is only 5- 7% saturated fat. Compared with other edible oils it is low in saturated fatty acids. Omega-3 and omega-6 have number of proven health benefits such as,
reducing the risk of heart attacks, improving brain health, reduce ADHD in children,fight autoimmune diseases, alleviating menstrual pain, healthier skin and reduce asthma in children.
Some of the benefits of using hemp seed oil as a dietary supplement are;
- It promotes brain health. The fatty acid content of hemp seed oil is good for the brain, because it requires a lot of fats to operate properly and maintain its health. Hemp seed oil is also rich in other compounds that may help with neurogenesis, helping the brain form new cells. A recent study in mice found that a hemp seed extract containing these active compounds was able to help protect the brain against inflammation. The authors note that hemp seed oil contains polyphenols, which play a role in protecting the brain.
- It aids in maintaining a healthy skin. It helps balance the skin by moisturizing it and reducing the production of sebum, which leads to acne. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin.
- Accelerates exercise recovery. Daily athletic training puts a lot of strain on the muscles, leading to discomfort and long recovery times. Along with soothing temporary inflammation, one of the constituents of hemp oil is called cannabigerol (CBG) and research shows that the cannabinoid CBG may inhibit the release of the neurotransmitter GABA, which can alleviate muscle tension. The combined benefits of antioxidants, omegas and cannabinoids in hemp oil are another way to support overall exercise recovery.
- Boosts heart health. Omega-3 fatty acids in hemp oil improve the health of the heart and reduce the risk of issues such as arrhythmia and heart disease.The seeds also contain high levels of arginine, an amino acid that turns into nitric oxide, which is essential for artery and vein dilation, and it helps keep blood vessel walls smooth and elastic.
- Reducing weight and waist size. Omega-3 fats are important for weight management and can help reduce waist circumference.
CBD and Skincare
It is clear from numerous studies is that CBD oil functions as an anti-inflammatory. Its ability to help balance skin, particularly skin that is acne-prone. Because acne is the result of inflammation, research indicates CBD’s soothing properties can help diminish breakouts and reduce redness. Surprisingly, recent findings also show that CBD has the potential to maintain healthy levels of sebum production, as well as help offset other triggers of acne.
CBD oil’s antioxidant properties can help lessen the visible signs of aging skin. By counteracting damage done by free-radicals, CBD anti-aging creams may be able to help visibly diminish issues like wrinkles, skin dullness, and ruddy skin tone.
Other benefits of using CBD oil are it’s soothing properties. Its substantial skin-calming and skin-normalizing effects can alleviate issues related to skin sensitivity, including redness. Even if your skin is not considered as the sensitive type, all skin types are affected by environmental stressors, so CBD’s soothing mechanism can help keep skin in check.
CBD for pets
Because all animals have an Endocannabinoid system, health benefits of CBD oils is not just limited to humans. Even our furry friends can benefit from it. There are a ton of CBD infused treats and oils available for pets in the market.
It helps animals improve the degree of attentiveness and responsive to commands.
CBD oils help regulate hyperthyroidism in cats.
CBD’s anti-cancer properties work on all animals. It not only inhibits the growth of tumors, but can also actively destroy it. Because of its inflammatory properties, it can be used to help the animals that are going through chemotherapy to relieve its side effects like pain, nausea and vomiting.
Animals that suffer with anxiety while travelling or when they encounter new guests at the house can also benefit from the soothing effect of CBD oils. There are lots of claims on the internet that dogs which were too aggressive, started to calm down when given CBD oil.
There are certain breeds of dogs that are more prone to seizures and epilepsy which could also benefit from CBD oils to avoid any episodes because it calms down their Central Nervous System.
Pets with gastrointestinal problems like inflammation in the gut or colon, any food allergies can be relieved by using CBD oils as CBD helps regulating the digestive process.
CBD has proven to help with chronic pain in animals. Oils infused with menthol and CBD work wonders for relieving pain in both pets and humans.
Unlike traditional pain medicine for animals CBD does not contain any harmful side effects, it does not adversely affect any of the organs such as liver, kidneys, heart and nervous system.
It is a safe and very effective alternative.
Top online stores we recommend.
Due to lack of research and the lack of proper regulations on the CBD market, there is a lot of misinformation and false marketing, people seem to misunderstand their effects. So, we have found a few stores online that can be trusted. Having thoroughly researched supplements like CBD oil to find the best on the market. You can use this guide to find out which oils come from the most reputable suppliers, and help you select the best one for your needs.
Even though CBD has been used for treating ailments for millennia, because of its legal status in the past, there has been no study on its long term effects, so please consult your doctor before using CBD.
- Amazon: Since hemp oil does not contain THC, it can be bought on amazon, there are a wide variety of hemp oils for all different purposes like cooking, pain relief and skin care. Their customer focused service ensures that all the hemp oil products listed on Amazon are some of the best brands that make quality hemp oils.
- Soul: Their vision is to provide people and pets with the highest quality, all natural solutions for: pain, anxiety, inflammation, sleep, digestion, and overall health to thrive in their daily lives. Their CBD products are produced in a food grade, GMP-compliant facility. All their products are tested by third parties for safety and quality. Their strain of isolated Crystalline CBD is the foundation of Soul, and is high in CBD, stable and resistant to pests and pathogens. Since it is not a full spectrum oil, you can get very precise dosing.
- Flora Sophia Botanicals: Flora Sophia Botanicals is an “Earth Wisdom Apothecary” whose approach to health and healing is driven both by rigorous scientific inquiry and also by traditional herbalism. They grow their own Cannabis plants, very few companies sell cannabinoid products that they grew themselves. All of their products contain less than 0.3% THC by weight as is the standard practice among industrial hemp companies in remaining compliant with the 2014 Farm Bill.
- Octagon Biolabs: Octagon Biolabs is a leader in nutritional research, product development and innovation. They are dedicated to making only the purest and most potent products while excluding all artificial flavorings, preservatives, colors, sweeteners or other foreign agents.They have a team of farmers, scientists, nutritionists and manufacturers, each with decades of experience in producing, formulating and distributing the best, all natural, highest quality dietary supplements. They explore the complex relationships that exist between raw materials and nutrition therapies in their research and development to develop the most relevant products.
- Elixinol: They not only claim that they produce some of the best quality CBD oil in the world, they also prove it by testing their products at high end laboratories. When establishing which third-party labs will perform their product testing, Elixinol submits multiple samples of the same product, including “dummy” samples to confirm the lab’s analysis methods and identify any abnormalities within the brand’s products. Match this with a wide product selection and Elixinol is a brand to beat. So, we’ll be getting accurate dose of CBD as necessary. They source their hemp from U.S and Europe. They use CO2 in their extraction process, so there won’t be any residual butane found in products which might be found in some that use Butane for extraction.
- cbdMD: cbdMD has a diverse line of quality, American-made products. They have a range of flavor and concentration options with their oils. Especially their gummies are tasty and pack a strong CBD punch. In addition to a solid product line, cbdMD has reached out into the sports world to expand the reach of hemp derivatives. Their partnerships with BIG3 Basketball and golfers like Lucas Glover and Bubba Watson will certainly grow the reach of CBD as a whole. Their oils have a natural flavour and the raw material is sourced from Kentucky, US. They also sell CBD capsules, topicals and treats for pets. They use CO2 extraction process.
- NuLeaf Naturals: This company was founded in 2014 by a group of plant medicine aficionados. NuLeaf Naturals is one of America’s top pioneering CBD based companies. They make the most potent oil. NuLeaf makes strong, CBD oils that all come in around 50mg per 1mL. They have no synthetic additives and use a CO2 extraction process because of this their products are all natural with no additives or preservatives, and contain all the synergistic cannabinoids, terpenes, essential oils and other compounds of the original plant.
- Sunsoil: SunSoil believes in organic farming and have been making quality CBD under the name Green Mountain for years. This trusted CBD brand was recently called out as a company to watch at Expo West. Value, bang for your buck. Sunsoil is built upon the philosophy that no one should be restricted from accessing safe, lab-tested CBD products of the highest quality. For Sunsoil, making CBD both effective and affordable is rooted in the land they cultivate and the efficiency they have incorporated into the operation. Their farm in Hardwick, VT is the physical realization of everything we believe in. They have a simple vision, to grow and produce a product that does the most good possible for the most people.
- Proleve: At Proleve, they are committed to bringing customers the highest grade organic CBD products available, so that they can enjoy all of the natural benefits of hemp, worry-free. In a market that is muddled with questionable products, Proleve brings you 100% organic, USA made CBD products that you can trust. Unlike many CBD products, Proleve adheres to the highest testing and quality control standards to ensure goodness and purity every time- from our delicious gummies, to our versatile tincture and salves, and everything in between.
- CBDistillery: CBDistillery for the value. With quality CBD oils beginning at $20, CBDistillery offers sensible products at a great price. This affordability has made CBDistillery one of the fastest growing companies in the hemp space. They source their hemp from Colorado. The product line is also comprehensive, including various oil concentrations, salves, edibles, and suppositories. People new to the CBD space often need to try a variety of products to find what they like. Dosing is also personal and arrived at with practice. That’s what makes value so attractive. You don’t want to go broke finding the right product. They source their hemp from Colorado, US. Their oils have a natural flavour. You can also find a variety of vapes, gummies and capsules. They also use CO2 extraction process.
For skin care
- Herbivore Emerald: The only CBD product they make is Emerald CBD Oil. It contains 100 milligrams of the best organic Colorado grown CBD to soothe stressed-out skin in need of calm and relief from redness, irritation, and environmental stressors.Their products contain full-spectrum cannabinoids, that provide additional benefits like uplifting the mood and so on.
- Saint Jane: They make a luxury CBD beauty serum.It is a potent concentration of 20 botanicals and 500mg full spectrum CBD. This performance-driven super blend is formulated to soothe and balance all skin types. Each nutrient-rich ingredient is thoughtfully curated to inspire a radiant glow. 100% clean, organic and responsibly-sourced. Made in USA.
- Cannuka: Cannuka combines some of the purest, most natural elements on Earth in a way that reflects the changing needs and interests of consumers. Together, the distinctive healing properties of CBD and Manuka honey provide a daily skin therapy that calms and heals skin – for your face, lips, cuticles, elbows, and anywhere else there’s dryness or inflammation. They have a variety of skin care products like soap bars, lotions, eye balms and lip balms.
- CBD for life: Their CBD infused pain management and beauty products are highly innovative, natural, luxurious, and effective.They are made using 99% pure CBD extract derived from stems and stalks of industrial hemp. Their revolutionary formula combines Cannabidiol with nourishing essential oils and other active agents to aid in reducing pain, inflammation, and stress while promoting anti-aging, rejuvenation, and vibrancy.Their products are 95% naturally derived and are free of GMOs, parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde, artificial coloring and are never tested on animals. Their products are reasonably priced. They have a wide range of products from shampoos to foot creams that are infused with CBD.
- CBD Skincare Co. : As the name suggest, the only focus of this company is to develop CBD based skincare products. They have the most diverse inventory of skincare products. They not only sell soaps, shampoos and lotions but also cleansers and face masks. Before bringing introducing their famous CBD body bars to the market, they have formulated and tested 10 unique formulas. These tests took place over an extended period of time to ensure that every one of our CBD products delivered on their promise. Clear, nourished and soft skin. They use the finest ingredients, such as eucalyptus in Green Power, charcoal in Black Magic Woman, and various essential oils in the many scents we have created for our products.